Thursday, July 13, 2006

July 4th Fishing Report


A lot to report from my recent visit to Leech Lake's Sucker Bay.

While my Memorial Day week visit to the lake was mostly a bass and walleye affair, my July 4th week visit was almost exclusively a perch-focused event. And quite successful.

I want to thank my neighbor and fishing buddy John Newman, and his family of fishing fanatics, for finding 'the birches,' a veritable hot-bed of jumbo perch activity.

For days the wind was blowing out of the West pushing baitfish and other aquatic edibles into the weeds in 8-10 feet of water in front of 'the birches.' The preferred method for fishing the jumbos was seining Leech Lake minnows (mostly emerald shiners) and using them to bait slip-bobber rigs, Northland Gum-Ball jig heads, Northland Mimic Minnow Spins, and Johnson Beetle Spins. The results were nothing short of incredible! Dozens of jumbo perch were caught during a 3-4 day period, culminating in a wonderful Shore Lunch fish fry for dinner on July 4th. What a fantastic way to celebrate America's 230th birthday.

Unfortunately, the wind shifted just after July 4th and the perch fishing slowed considerably. I also experienced a meltdown of various marine equipment. First, both my aft and fore livewells stopped working, and then my MinnKota PowerDrive trolling motor died. Both malfunctions will be dealt with during the winter.

On our final day at the lake for this visit, my beautiful wife Kathleen (with whom I just celebrated 25 years of marriage) caught a very nice jumbo perch while we were casually drifting in the boat while watching another gorgeous Leech Lake sunset.

All in all, a great visit to Leech Lake.

No comments: