Monday, March 30, 2009

July 30, 2008 on Leech Lake

The temperature was near 80 degrees today, the winds were 5 mph out of the NNW, but with gusts to 15 mph. The water temperature was 75 degrees.

Kathleen's family is holding the "Coyle Family Reunion" at Lake Itasca State Park beginning August 1, so there is much preparation going on at our house. Our entire family has gathered, and we're in the process of pulling together everything from camp-chairs to a Bocce set. Yet, I managed to sneak out for a little fishing nonetheless.

I started by drifting near the Birches using a jig and Gulp Alive! leeches, but caught nothing. I then switched to a perch-colored Rapala Shad Rap and began trolling in 12-feet of water from the Birches to past Second Duck Point. I made two or three passes -- catching several medium-sized perch -- before heading back to shore. I was only on the lake today from 3:15 to 5:00 p.m.

No comments: