Wednesday, April 15, 2009

August 14, 2008 on Leech Lake

For the past several days the perch, crappie and bluegill bite has been fantastic. So again today I decided to work the weed line between our cabin and the Birches in 8-12 feet of water.

The temperature today was near 80 degrees, the skies were clear, the wind, however, had shifted, and was now blowing from the SE at 8-12 mph, a complete 180 degrees from where it was blowing yesterday. The water temperature had dropped a half a degree to 74 degrees.

I started fishing right at noon, and for the next 3 1/2 hours I let the warm summer breeze gently drift my boat from our cabin all the way to the Birches. I used the same set up that I have for the past few days, which included my Shimano Saros 1000F spinning reel, St. Croix Premier 5'6" fast action rod, and 6lb. Fireline Crystal line. On the terminal end of the set up, I had a 1/8 oz. Northland Neon-tone Gum-Ball jig tipped with either a 2" orange Gulp grub or 3" Gulp silver pearl minnow.

This set up led to the same results I'd had for the past several days -- numerous perch, including some jumbos, big slab crappies and plenty of bluegill, including some real bulls. With all of the great summertime panfishing going on, I've almost forgot about the walleyes that roam Leech Lake. Almost, but not quite.

No comments: