Friday, April 17, 2009

August 25, 2008 on Leech Lake

After four days of being stuck on shore, I was finally back on Leech Lake fishing today!

The sky was sunny, the temperature was 72 degrees, the winds were 5-12 mph out of the SSW. I hit the water at 1:30 p.m. to do some drifting for panfish -- I was curious if the great panfish bite from a week ago was still on.

I drifted from our house north to the Birches in 8-10 feet of water along the weed line. I used a 1/16 oz. firetiger colored Northland Neon-tone Gum-Ball jig tipped with Gulp 2 1/2" minnows. For a little added flash, I attached a #3 silver Colorado blade spinner to the jig.

By 4:45 p.m., I had caught numerous rock bass, bluegills, perch and crappie, but none of them the size of the fish I was catching a week ago. Nonetheless, it was a great day of fishing on Leech Lake.

No comments: