Wednesday, October 21, 2009

October 21, 2009 -- On Leech Lake

This morning we woke up to dark skies and a steady rain. The temperature is 36 degrees at 9:00 a.m. and the wind is light at 5-8 mph out of the NNE.

Mark and his team from Shore Brothers showed up on the Peninsula by noon and took out Newman's dock and boat lift, Poage's, Malay's and a couple of other folks. I spoke to Mark and he said he'd be back next week to take out our boat lift and two docks and do the same for a couple of other people in the area.

That will enable me to keep my boat in the water until this weekend. I just hope the weather improves a little so I can get out on the water without it raining or snowing.

It rained all afternoon so Kathleen and I stayed inside and had a very slow paced, relaxing day. We even did something we hadn't done in years, maybe decades. We took a nap.

After our nap we took a walk. I went to the Paulsen's and back (2 miles) while Kathleen went all the way to the Community Center and back (6 miles).

It's now 6:20 p.m. The temperature is 37 degrees, there's a light rain falling and the wind is at8-10 mph out of the NNE. I think I'm going to go fishing. The sunset tonight was a minute ago and the moon is 13% waxing.
________

I got the boat off the lift, the lights on, the landing net ready, the rod holders in place and motored out to 9 feet of water in front of the cabin. I positioned the boat so I would travel south, set the SmartCraft controls to 2.50 mph ground speed, and dropped my #9 Minnow Rap into the 43 degree water.

Just 5 minutes after starting my troll, I hooked into a fish. At first I thought it might be a northern given the way it hit, but once I began reeling it to the boat I could tell it was a walleye. I got the landing net ready and landed a beautiful 19-inch walleye.

I carefully removed the front treble from its mouth and put the fish back into the cold, dark waters of Leech Lake.

I made two passes through The Alley, but caught no more fish nor did I have any bites. At 7:45 p.m. I came ashore with a light rain still falling.

I took a quick shower, got a fire going in the fireplace and then made dinner. I made risotto, baked walleye and asparagus. After dinner Kathleen and I sat in the living room watching the fire, listened to music and talked.

The weather today was cold and rainy, but it was another fantastic day at Leech Lake.

No comments: