Tuesday, October 06, 2009

October 5, 2009 -- On Leech Lake


The trees starting to change color along Sucker Bay Road

Today the wind was lighter than it's been the past few days at just 8-12 mph out of the north. But it was a cold breeze. The temperature all day long was a consistent 40 degrees. The sky was gray and it looked like rain, but none fell.

I had business calls to attend to until early afternoon, then had to go into Cass Lake to pick up a few groceries as well as a new scoop of fathead minnows from Froggy's.

On my way into town, on Sucker Bay Road, I saw a number of bald eagles eating some sort of carrion on the side of the road and as I drove past them, they took to the air and flew along side my truck on either side. One mature bald eagle and one immature eagle flying right next to my truck window on either side. What a sight! They are big when you get up close to one. Eventually they banked off to the woods, and I'm sure back to their meal.

Once I was home and got the groceries put away I decided to go fishing. At 4:00 p.m. I motored out to 12 feet of water in front of the Malay's cabin and let the light wind push my boat south toward Second Duck Point. The water temperature was now at 52.6 degrees.

I used a VMC jig in orange and yellow color tipped with a fathead. I caught a couple of small perch, but that was it. I saw Tom Malay on the water. He was trolling, which is his usual method of fishing during all times of day throughout the open-water season. Tom said he hadn't even had a bite.

I repositioned to The Birches, and again caught only a few small perch.

While I was fishing by The Birches I saw another mature bald eagle. This one took flight from a tree at the edge of the water, flew out over the bay, before I lost sight of it. A minute or two later it returned, and it may have had a fish in its talons. When it got close to its tree, I heard the screeches of young eagles in a nest. Obviously the mature eagle was returning to the tree to feed its young.

It certainly was a day for eagles.

At 6:00 p.m., I returned home. Two hours on the lake with wet hands, a north wind and a temperature of 40 degrees had my hands near frozen. I looked forward to warming them up.

After dinner I had a fire in the fireplace, read the newspaper and listened to music. No trolling tonight on Leech Lake.

No comments: