Thursday, June 28, 2012

June 26, 2012 -- On Leech Lake -- 31st Wedding Anniversary

Today Kathleen and I celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary. We were married on the shores of the Mississippi River in St. Cloud, MN, and here we are all these later once again in Minnesota, this time at Leech Lake.

And it was a beautiful at the lake. By 10:00 a..m. the temperature was 70 degrees, the sky was mostly sunny and blue and the wind was 8-12 mph out of the SSW so there was a bit of chop on the lake. Melissa and Ashley want to go tubing on the water as soon as possible, and if the wind dies down just a bit, we'll try to get out today.

Most of the morning and early afternoon we -- Kathleen, Melissa, Jayden, Ashley, my parents, and I -- just hung around the house, drank coffee, had breakfast and enjoyed the beauty of the lake. By mid-afternoon, the temperature had risen to 78 degrees, the wind was still a bit breezy at 10-15 mph out of the SSE and the sky was sunny and blue.

The girls really wanted to go tubing (on the Hot Dog), so even though it was a little more windy than I'd like to pull a tube behind the boat, I acquiesced and onto the water we went.

I couldn't go real fast, nor could I swerve side to side and give them as crazy a ride as they like, but we still had fun on the lake. Even Jayden and Kathleen went for a ride.

Once back on shore, Jayden took a nap while Kathleen went running and Melissa and Ashley went on a bike ride. Jayden didn't sleep all that long and when he woke up he wanted me to take him on the ATV to find his mom and Ashley.

Jayden joined my on my Polaris 500 Sportsman and off we went. I didn't go much more than 10 or 12 mph because Jayden was with me, but we did manage to traverse the entire loop from our house to the community center up Ottertail Point Drive to 26th and back to our house. Somehow during that entire loop we didn't see Kathleen, Melissa or Ashley. Jayden and I arrived home to find Melissa and Ashley on the dock.

After we all cooled off and cleaned up we had a wonderful salmon and risotto dinner before we moved next door to have a camp fire. As the sun set and the sky darken, the clouds moved in and as a result we couldn't see the stars as well as we were hoping to. On a clear night, the stars are so bright here at the lake that it is easy to see the Milky Way, and billions of other stars.

We didn't have a chance to fish on the lake today, but we did have a great time at Leech Lake.

No comments: