Tuesday, October 02, 2012

October 2, 2012 -- In Leech Lake

According to the weather forecast the wind this morning was supposed to be 4 mph out of the SSE. But according to the weather at the end of the dock, the wind was out of the SW at 10-15 mph. Beyond the shelter of Second Duck Point there were white caps and fairly big waves.

Along our shoreline, however, we had no more than some rolling waves about 2 feet high. A bit higher than I would have preferred when pulling my boat out of the water, but starting tomorrow the wind is supposed to be more than 20 mph and out of the north and NW meaning large, crashing waves along the shoreline by the boat lift. Therefore, today was the day, from a weather perspective, to take my boat out of the water so I can store it for the winter.

At 8:30 a.m. the sky was sunny, the ground was covered in morning dew, and the temperature was 50 degrees. By 8:40 a.m. I was in the boat undoing the bungee cords that hold the boat lift canopy in place. With all of the tie-downs removed I was able to remove the canopy and drag it down the dock and onto the yard. Later I will power-wash it and let it dry thoroughly before storing it for the winter.

With the canopy off, I then lowered the boat so it was just above the water, backed the trailer down the boat ramp and into the water, donned the waders, finished lowering the boat so it was in the water, got in the water myself and guided the boat around the end of the dock and onto the boat trailer. I then hooked the tow strap to the bow hook, cranked the winch and got the boat securely on the trailer. Within minutes the truck was up the ramp and parked next to the garage, boat and trailer attached. The entire process from start to finish took me 35 minutes, from 8:40 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.

Truck, boat and trailer, with the boat lift canopy in the foreground
I put a few of the things from the boat in the garage for storage, but will get to most of the clean up and prep for taking the boat to Corner Sports later today. First, it was time to warm up a bit with a fresh pot of coffee and some breakfast.

My afternoon was spent unloading all of the gear from the boat -- rods and reels, landing net, tackle, maps, electronics, flashlights, life jackets, etc. -- and storing it in the "fish garage." With the gear stowed for the winter and the cover on the boat, I took the time to take a bike ride down to the Harbor and back. Later I went for an ATV ride around the neighborhood. I also had a nice "stop and chat" with Norm, one of the old-timers here on the Peninsula.

By 5:30 p.m. the sun was already dropping into the western sky and I was getting hungry. I had a simple meal of spaghetti and meatballs with a fresh green salad. Then it was time to settle in and listen to some music and do some reading.

It was a long, busy and productive day. Good night from Leech Lake.

Eight days and counting.

No comments: