Saturday, October 06, 2012

October 5, 2012 -- At Leech Lake

Today was another cold, very wind, grey day with snow flurries on and off all day. The temperature may have hit 38 degrees today, but for most of the day it hovered between 32 and 36 degrees. The sky was grey nearly all day, with just a brief few moments of midday sun. Snow flurries, which melted upon landing on the ground, fell from sunrise to sunset.

My first order of business for the day was going down underneath the house in the crawlspace and closing up all of the vents. While I was down there I emptied out the 'stair way to heaven' mouse trap, which yielded enough mice to fill a plastic grocery bag half full. I then rebaited the trap, added new antifreeze to the bucket and set it up for more rodent eradication.

Despite the inhospitable weather, I did spend several hours outside. I planted fertilizer stakes around our crab apple tree and next to nearly a dozen pine trees. I also went on a bike ride to the Harbor and back -- although gloves would have been a good idea. Then around 5:00 p.m. I removed the 17-inch walleye, which I caught earlier in the week, from the basket from the lake and cleaned it in preparation for dinner.

As it turned out, I wasn't very hungry and a full-on walleye dinner just didn't sound good tonight. I put the fish in a resealable bag and stored it in the refrigerator for either Saturday or Sunday night dinner.

The snow flurries continued long after dark. I meanwhile, spent a quiet night listening to music and having a fire in the fireplace. Weather permitting tomorrow, I need to fold up and store the boat lift canopy and clean out the gutters over at the cabin. At that point the 'winterization' of the cabin should be complete.

Good night from Leech Lake.

Five days and counting.

No comments: