Friday, April 10, 2009

August 8, 2008

I went fishing this afternoon under sunny skies, a slight breeze of no more than 2 mph out of the south, and an air temperature of 74 degrees. The water temperature was 76 degrees.

I set out at 2:00 p.m. and decided to do some drifting around the Birches in 7-10 feet of water, just off the weed line. The breeze was just strong enough to push the boat along at about 0.5 mph, a perfect speed to bounce a jig off the bottom. My jig was tipped with a 2" Gulp orange grub. I caught several perch using this method, but all fish were released.

Later I motored over to Norm's cabin and switched tactics entirely. I tied on a 4/0 offset hook and Texas rigged a Senko, with no additional weight. I tossed the Senko into the reeds and grass and managed to catch 3 very nice largemouth bass.

At 5:00 p.m. I fired up the Mercury Verado and headed home. Another nice day of multi-species fishing on Leech Lake.

No comments: