Friday, April 10, 2009

August 9, 2008 on Leech Lake

I went fishing twice today. Once in the afternoon by myself, and the second time in the evening with my son Joe.

I left the boat lift at 1:15 p.m. with the temperature right 78 degrees, water temperature at 76 degrees and the winds 5-8 mph out of NW. It was another perfect afternoon to do some drifting along the weed line near the Birches. I stopped the boat in about 10 feet of water straight out from Jerry Schiebe's cabin. From this location I would drift SE directly to the reeds and grass in front of Norm's cabin.

I decided to use a Northland Mimic Minnow Spin lure, which over the past two years has become one of my favorite "confidence" baits. I've caught countless perch and crappie on this bait, and I've also caught a good number of walleyes using it. Today only reinforced my confidence in the Mimic Minnow Spin.

Drifting from Schiebe's toward Norm's, I cast out the Mimic Minnow Spin and let it fall to the bottom. I then reeled in just enough to keep the lure off the bottom. Within seconds I hooked a nice perch. For the next hour I caught perch after perch, and even hooked a nice 14-inch walleye. All fish were released unharmed. By 5:00 p.m. I was back on shore.

That evening at 9:00 p.m., Joe and I launched the boat for some after-dark trolling for walleye. I piloted the boat into 11 feet of water and we let out our Rapala Minnow Raps a good 40 feet behind the boat. Trolling at roughly 2.5 mph, this gets the lure down about 9 or 10 feet, or just off the bottom where the walleye are feeding.

We only made one round-trip pass from our house past Second Duck point back to the Malay's cabin then back to our cabin. During that short 1 hour and 30 minute run we caught one 19-inch walleye, which is in the slot limit so it was immediately released.

Based on my success earlier in the day, I think tomorrow I'll focus my attention on panfish -- specifically crappie, perch and bluegill.

Here's a picture of my Lund 1800 IFS on the boat lift at the cabin.

No comments: