Wednesday, April 29, 2009

October 17, 2008 on Leech Lake

In this post I'd like to list the rod, reel, line and terminal tackle that I've used for most of my jig fishing this season on Leech Lake.

Rod: 5'6" St. Croix Premier PS56LF, light power, fast action
Reel: Shimano Saros 1000F spinning reel
Line: Berkley Fireline Crystal, 6lb. test
Jig: Northland Neon-Tone Gum-Ball jigs, 1/16 oz., 1/8 oz., 1/4 oz.
Bait: Berkley Gulp minnows, 3" in smelt, emerald shiner and black shad colors

This set up has varied over the past 4+ months -- I've added a silver Colorado spinner blade to the jig, I've used live fathead minnows and Gulp Alive minnows and leeches -- but the above was used during the majority of my time on the water.

Today was a beautiful Autumn day. The temperature was 57 degrees, the wind was calm to 5 mph out of the SSE and the water temperature was 50 degrees. The first time I fished today was from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. I drifted ever so slowly in the slight breeze in 8-10 feet of water along the weed line at the Birches. I caught several medium-sized perch and a fantastic 21 1/2" walleye. On 6lb. test line, a light power fast action rod and small 1000F reel, a 21 1/2" walleye feels very big. I enjoyed fighting the fish to the boat, admired its beauty, then released it unharmed back into Leech Lake.

Later, I made my second foray of the day onto Leech Lake. This time I concentrated my effort on trolling in 10-12 feet of water, at roughly 2.0 to 2.5 mph from Malay's cabin to just south of Second Duck Point. I started at 6:00 p.m. and was back on shore by 8:00 p.m. That, however, was enough time for me to hook two walleyes using a Rapala Minnow Rap. The first walleye measured 21" and second came in at 22".

Another wonderful day of fishing on Leech Lake.

No comments: