Wednesday, April 29, 2009

October 18, 2008 on Leech Lake

Kathleen's brother Mike, his wife Barb, their son Sean, Sean's friend Stan and Kathleen's mom all arrived today for a few day visit. After helping getting everyone settled in, and a little conversation, Sean, Stan and I decided to go fishing. The boys really wanted to try to catch a Leech Lake walleye

The temperature today was 52 degrees, the wind was fairly strong out of the SSW at 15 mph and the water temperature was 50 degrees.

Once we got the boat off the lift, I took us out to 12 feet of water directly in front of our house and let the wind push us northward toward shore. I put the drift sock in the water to slow the speed of the boat and to keep the boat from turning in the wind.

I got the boys set up with spinning reels and jigs tipped with live fatheads. I used the same set up outlined in my post titled October 17, 2008.

I immediately caught numerous perch, but no walleyes. The boys were having tougher luck and weren't catching anything. Eventually, Stan caught a medium-sized northern pike. Then Sean caught a beautiful 21" walleye. And to cap off the trip, Stan hooked a nice 17" walleye which we decided to keep so Sean and Stan could enjoy a Leech Lake fish fry.

We went to shore at 5:20 p.m so I could get started. I think the boys really enjoyed their time on Leech Lake.


My nephew Sean Coyle with a 21" Leech Lake walleye.

No comments: