Thursday, June 07, 2012

June 6, 2012 -- At Leech Lake

This morning I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and thought about getting up, but it was simply too early for me so I forced myself to go back to sleep. I eventually got up a little before 8:00 a.m. and saw that the temperature was 65 degrees, it's suppose to be up around 75 degrees today, the wind was light at 5-8 mph out of the SSW and the sky was cloudy. In fact, the sky had a greenish grey tint to it that usually means rain. I think a thunderstorm is predicted for sometime today, but we'll see. The recent weather forecasts haven't been very accurate.

At 10:00 a.m. a light rain started to fall. More accurately, the drops were heavy and loaded with water, but there were few of them which created a soothing patter on the back porch and quickly had the entire area wet with rain. The wind remained light, if not calm, and the flag hung limp on the pole.

Most of the morning I spent reading and attending to some work calls. After lunch, since the rain had stopped,  it was time to get outside and do some weeding in the various gardens and flower beds. It's amazing how many weeds come up in relation to the relatively few number of plants we actually want in the beds/gardens. I spent a couple of hours pulling weeds before calling quits and going inside to get cleaned up.

My concerns about my boat lift, and a forecast calling for possible severe thunderstorms, kept me off the lake today. I'm hoping that sometime again soon I can get out and do some fishing.

At 4:45 p.m. there was brief spell of heavy rain. The really heavy rained stopped after a minute or two, but a lighter steadier rain fell for maybe 30 minutes. I did hear some rumbling of thunder off the distance, but a quick check of the radar weather map showed that most of the worst weather passed by just to the north of Leech Lake.

The evening was quiet and uneventful. I hope to be able to get on the lake tomorrow to do some fishing. If I do, I'll more to report. Good night from Leech Lake.

No comments: