Friday, November 28, 2008

June 2, 2008

With winds out of the NNE at 10-12 mph, I thought today would be a good day for drifting Sucker Bay jig fishing for walleye. The temperature during my 1:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. drift was 58 degrees. The water temperature had cooled slighty over the last few days to 61 degrees.

Using a Parakeet-colored Northland Gum-Ball "neon-tone" jig tipped with a 3" Gulp Alive! black leech I caught one small walleye.

The fishing was slow, but it was great to be on the lake. This was the first time this year I'd been on the lake fishing by myself. While I always enjoy fishing with others -- be it Rick or one of my many neighbors/friends -- it's nice to have some solitude on the water. It really gives me time to reflect on the world and my place in it. I don't know if I found any profound answers, but the search was very rewarding.

This evening I went trolling from the Malays to past Second Duck Point. Using my standard "hot steel" Minnow Rap, I hooked a 15 1/2" walleye, several perch, and a northern pike that was almost 30". The winds tonight were calm, the temp was 60 degrees, and the moon was 1% waning, almost a completely new moon.

No comments: