Friday, November 28, 2008

June 4, 2008, my rant against the FIBs

I fished for about 2 1/2 hours today, from 2:30 to about 5:00 p.m. The temperature was 56 degrees, almost 10 degrees warmer than yesterday, the winds were 10 mph from ESE, it was very overcast and the water temp was 57 degrees.

My excursion began at "the Birches," where I used a Northland Gum-Ball jig tipped with a Northland Slurpies Swim'N Grub (in firetiger) to catch a couple of jumbo perch, which I released, and a couple of rock bass, which I would never consider keeping. And while I'm on the topic of keeping "junk" fish such as rock bass, let me pontificate for a moment on the people who visit Leech Lake and stay at one of the many resorts that offer access to our Northern Minnesota wonderland.

Many of these "resorters" are what we who own property on the lake refer to as FIB's -- or F^*#ing Illinois, Indiana or Iowa Bastards, which is where many of these people call home. These meat-hunters are here to load up their coolers with as many fish fillets as possible with no regard to the size or species of the fish. I've seen FIB's at Birch Ridge Resort cleaning perch no bigger than 6 or 7 inches. Many FIB's think nothing of keeping 12" walleye, 18" pike, big largemouth bass (these days who eats largemouth bass for goodness sake!!) and of course, the king of junk fish, the rock bass. I know many "dock boys" and "fish cleaners" at the resorts who simply refuse to clean a rock bass. And if they do agree to clean them, it often carries a price double what they charge to clean other fish. I know, the lake is here for everyone to enjoy, but those of us who live here want to see the fishery remain healthy; and most FIB's are a disease we could live without.

Now where was I? Oh yeah. After my jigging efforts at the Birches, I started trolling from the Malays to past Second Duck Point, but landed no fish.

No comments: