Friday, November 28, 2008

May 31, 2008

From 1:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. Rick and I fished Bass Bay. We started near the "harbor" entrance just north of Paul Wagner's cabin and worked our way south toward Paulsen's. We were again using Northland Reed-Runner spinner baits. The air temperature was a very pleasant 65 degrees, the water temperature was 60 degrees, the winds were calm and the sky was mostly sunny.

On my second cast of the afternoon something strange happened -- my rod broke. I was using a Shimano Compere baitcasting rod, and when I went to cast the spinner bait the rod just snapped -- right between the second and third line guide. I have no idea why it broke. I did not contact Shimano about the incident since the rod was past its warranty period. It didn't leave a great impression on me regarding the quality of Shimano rods. Usually I use St. Croix rods, made in Park Falls, Wisconsin, for my spinning reels, and maybe I need to switch to St. Croix for my baitcasting rods as well.

I caught one largemouth bass and Rick caught three. Then we decided to head down to Second Duck Point to jig for walleye. We fished that spot for roughly an hour before heading back to the cabin. In that time, Rick caught, and released, a very nice 20" walleye and a small one under 12". Rick was using a silver flash Lindy Techni-Glo Fuzz-E-Grub tipped with a 3" Gulp Alive! black leech.

That evening we went out on the water at 9:00 p.m. and fished for about two hours. The air temp had dropped to just under 60 degrees although the water temperature had actually warmed to 62 degrees. The winds were still calm, and the moon was 13% waning. While trolling Minnow Rap crankbaits we caught and released five walleye. I had fish of 14", 15" and 23", while Rick boated 'eyes of 20" and 21". This was to be Rick's last night of fishing. On June 1, Kathleen and I drove him to the Bemidji airport so he could start his long journey home to Brisbane, Australia. See you in the Fall Rick.

No comments: