Saturday, March 07, 2009

July 4, 2008 -- Independence Day

The weather was absolutely beautiful at Leech Lake for this year's July 4th holiday. The temperature was 75 degrees under a mostly sunny sky. The water temp was 72.8 degrees and the wind was out of the SW at 5-8 mph. A perfect day to be on the water.

I decided to start fishing at noon today, because I knew that the plan for this evening was to BBQ and then shoot off some of the fireworks we had left over from last year. And we have some pretty good fireworks too! The real big ones that Joe had purchased a couple of years ago in Montana and the Dakotas.

I felt like trolling for walleye rather than jigging for them, so I tied on a Rapala jointed-Shad Rap in perch color and motored between Schiebe's cabin and Second Duck Point in water ranging from 11 to 14 feet; a little deeper than I've been fishing.

I hooked two medium-sized northern pike and a very nice 23" walleye. All fish were released.

After dinner, then Newmans joined us on our dock for a fireworks display managed by Joe and our neighbor's son, Johnny Newman.

Happy Birthday America!

No comments: