Saturday, March 07, 2009

July 6, 2008 -- Leech Lake Fish Fry

One of the many joys of fishing is selectively harvesting a small number of fish to eat. Yesterday I caught a beautiful jumbo perch and very meaty 17" "eater" walleye. This evening, Kathleen, Joe and I had an absolutely wonderful fish fry for dinner.

My preferred method of cooking walleye and perch is panned fried. I first coat the fish fillets in flour seasoned slightly with garlic salt and pepper. Then I dip the fillets a mixure of egg, buttermilk and a little lemon juice. I then coat the fillets a second time, this time using a mix of Shore Lunch (regular flavor), garlic salt and pepper. I then place the coated fillets in hot cooking oil, cooking each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.

I like to serve the fish with cole slaw, warm dinner roles and french fries with malt vinegar. Yummm!

The final product looks something like this.


No comments: