Saturday, April 25, 2009

September 28, 2008 on Leech Lake

From 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. I did a couple of "drift" passes near the Birches in 8-10 feet of water. The temperature was 65 degrees, the water temp was 62 degrees, and the wind was out of the SW at 8-12 mph.

I caught a few perch and a couple of pike, but no walleyes.

After dinner I went trolling from 10:00 to 11:15 p.m., and caught one 18" walleye.

The rumor swirling around Otter Tail Peninsula today was that my neighbor's son-in-law caught a 30" walleye in 12 feet of water directly in front of our house. He said he was using a jig and leech. For those of you who do not fish for walleye, a 30" walleye is considered a trophy. Catching a 30" walleye is a goal of mine. Just as I'd like to catch a 50" muskie.

The guy who caught this beautiful fish decided he wanted to have it stuffed and mounted, so he brought it to shore, wrapped it in newspaper, put it on ice and took it as quickly as he could to a local taxidermist.

Later, the taxidermist, who is good friends with our friends the Malays, said the fish in question was not 30" as hyped, but rather 27". Still a good fish, but not a trophy, and only legal in Leech Lake by one inch. I would have definitely put that fish back in the water, but that's not this guy's orientation.

I know there's a trophy fish swimming out there in Leech Lake, and I plan on catching it.

No comments: