Sunday, January 25, 2009

June 23, 2008

Today, rather than fishing in the evening and after sunset, I decided to fish from noon to 5:00 p.m. The winds were calm and the sky was bright and sunny. Temps in the high 70s and it was very humid. A classic, thick-aired hot summer Minnesota day.

I started in Bass Bay where the water temperature was 72 degrees. I was throwing a spinner bait as I made my way from the "harbor" around to Paulsen's house. It was great time, but I only put one small largemouth bass in the boat.

Switching tactics and locations, I moved to Second Duck Point and tied on an 1/8 ounce Bass Pro Shops XPS Walleye Angler jig in lime/green hologram color tipped with a 3" Gulp Alive! black leech. I drifted in the slow current from the south to the north along the point, and hooked a nice 16" walleye. After making another pass with no fish, I switched tactics yet again.

This time I went to my tried-and-true method of trolling with a Rapala Minnow Rap. Although this time I went with a "bleeding shiner" color rather than my typical favorite, hot steel. Out in front of our house in roughly 9' of water I caught a very healthy 20" walleye. I admired its golden color before releasing it back into the lake.

Another great day on Leech Lake.

No comments: