Sunday, January 25, 2009

June 24, 2008


Today was even warmer than yesterday. Temps hit 82 degrees and the humidity was still very high.

I hit the water around 1 p.m. and started at Second Duck Point using the same rig with which I caught a 16" walleye yesterday -- an 1/8 ounce Bass Pro Shops XPS Walleye Angler jig but in lime/black hologram color, rather than the lime/green color I used yesterday. Today, rather than using a Gulp Alive! 3" black leech, I tipped my jig with a live night crawler. Using this set up I caught several nice jumbo perch and a 14" walleye. I released all of the fish I caught.

After an hour and a half of fishing this way, I put away my spinning rod and reel and switched to my baitcaster which I use for trolling. Today I used a Rapala Minnow Rap, no surprise there, but rather than my favorite hot steel color, or the bleeding shiner I used yesterday, I tied on a perch colored Minnow Rap. I trolled from Second Duck Point to the "Birches" in 8-10" of water and caught numerous perch, 3 decent-sized northern pike and a 12" walleye. After numerous passes along this path I changed up tactics yet again.

I decided to head down to Norm's house -- in the reeds and grass in about 4-6" of water -- and tossed a white/chartreuse spinner bait with two gold colored willow blades. Using this rig I caught a fat 16" largemouth bass and a 24" pike.

At roughly 6:00 p.m. I headed home, in front of an approaching rain storm, and relished my very successful day of multi-species fishing on Leech Lake.

No comments: