Sunday, May 03, 2009

November 18, 2008 -- Our Last Full Day at Leech Lake

The temperature last night fell to near zero degrees. We woke up this morning to ice forming in the harbor and along the shore. Kathleen and I have never been here to watch Leech Lake freeze over, and because we have to fly back to California tomorrow, we won't see it happen this year either.

I'm guessing within a week Sucker Bay will be covered in ice, although ice fishing won't be possible for several weeks yet. To safely ice fish, the ice should be at least 6" thick to walk on, a foot thick to drive a snowmobile or ATV on it, and 18" to two feet to drive a truck or car onto it.

The temperature today varied from 15-20 degrees. The wind was out of the south at 10 mph. Kathleen and I spent the day cleaning the house and cabin and then locking up all of the buildings on our property.

After we cleaned the cabin, I closed the fireplace flue, turned the water off, turned the thermostat down to 50 degrees, turned on the security system and locked it up. I then went to the house where I helped Kathleen finish cleaning it. I set up mouse traps, cleaned out the fireplace, vacuumed, cleaned the bathrooms, etc.

At last it was time to pack. It's always hard to pack up knowing that we have to leave our paradise here at Leech Lake.

Kathleen and I had one last dinner at our dining room table, looking out onto the lake, cleaned up, watched David Letterman on TV and went to bed.

I really hope all goes well for us and our family back in California. I know that we were blessed to be able to spend so much time here at Leech Lake. Thank you God.

No fishing today.


Ice forming in our harbor.


Looking south on Sucker Bay from our cabin. Ice forming along the shore.


Looking north on Sucker Bay from the end of the boat ramp at the cabin.


Looking north on Sucker Bay from the harbor toward our cabin.

No comments: