Saturday, June 06, 2009

May 27, 2009 -- At Leech Lake

Yesterday when I went into Bemidji I bought two small Colorado blue spruce trees from the Home Depot. Today, I planted them near the property line between our cabin and Poage's. I dubbed the trees the "Jayden trees," in honor of our little grandson Jayden Stephen who was born on Easter Sunday. I plan to track the growth of both Jayden and the trees over time.

It was a pleasant day to work in the yard. The high temperature today was 60 degrees with a low of 42. The sky started out overcast, but gradually cleared to mostly sunny. The wind was out of the SSE from near calm to 8 mph.

At 1:30 p.m. I decided to go fishing. I started out at Second Duck Point and drifted with the breeze past our house and all the way to the Birches. I used a jig and shiner and was able to hook two very nice jumbo perch, a rock bass and a 15" walleye. All were released. Just before 5:00 p.m. I came to shore for some dinner.

At 6:30 p.m. I hit the lake again; this time trolling a crankbait. I used a #9 Minnow Rap in "bleeding hot olive" color and caught a northern and 14" walleye. Then I got a call on my cell phone. It was Tom Malay asking if I wanted to go fishing, which of course I was already doing. I told him to meet me at the end of his dock and I'd pick him up.

After getting Tom, his fishing rods, and cooler into the boat, we trolled from his place south past Second Duck Point in water depths ranging from 8-12 feet. The water temperature tonight was 58.7 degrees.

I caught another 14" walleye as well as a 15" eyeball. Tom caught walleyes of 12", 14" and 17". He kept the 17" fish.

We got back to the boat lift around 10:30 p.m. and I was inside the house by 10:45 p.m. Another fantastic day of fishing on Leech Lake -- 7 walleyes boated today.

No comments: