Sunday, April 26, 2009

October 4, 2008 on Leech Lake

The air and water temperatures today were an identical 56 degrees. The wind was calm to 5 mph out of the SW.

I went trolling for walleye this evening from 6:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. I used my old standby lure, the #9 Rapala Minnow Rap in hot steel color. Just as the sun was setting I caught a northern pike, which I immediately released back into Leech Lake.

I continued to troll from Second Duck Point to the Malay's cabin in 10-12 feet of water and caught two nice walleyes -- 15" and 22" -- the larger of which completely mangled my lure.

After using the hot steel-colored Minnow Rap all summer long, and having replaced the treble hooks on it more than once, the entire rear part of the lure gave out. The tail of the lure had been bitten by more than 100 toothy critters this season -- including walleye and pike, and even one tiger muskie. Apparently it could take no more and broke. I removed the hooks and now have my favorite lure on the key chain for my truck keys. At least it broke in service of catching walleye.


My favorite walleye lure, the #9 Rapala Minnow Rap in hot steel color

No comments: