Sunday, April 26, 2009

October 7, 2008 on Leech Lake

I went fishing twice today. The first time was from noon to 2:00 p.m. I took advantage of the 5-10 mph west wind to push my boat from 12 feet of water off the Birches toward shore. This direction of the drift took me over the edge of the weed line and into the weeds near shore. At this time of year the weeds are starting to dying off, and the few healthy green weeds that remain typically hold bait fish. I figured if I fished the green weeds, this is where the predators, such as walleyes, would be staging.

The sky today was partly cloudy and the temperature was 54 degrees. The water temperature was a bit warmer at 55 degrees.

I used my standard Northland jig, silver spinner blade and Gulp minnow set up. I caught numerous perch, but no real jumbos worth keeping nor any walleyes.

Once back on shore I turned my attention to a 40-foot maple tree that had fallen on our property. I used my Stihl chain saw to cut it into 2-3 foot sections, then used my log splitter to cut it into fire wood. In the Northwoods of Minnesota, a person can never have too much firewood on hand.

Later this evening -- from 6:30 to 8:45 p.m. -- I went trolling. Since my favorite hot steel-colored Minnow Rap had been destroyed by a walleye a few nights ago, I had to switch to a purpledescent Minnow Rap; similar in color to the hot steel. I trolled my usual route from Second Duck Point north to the Malay's cabin in 9-12 feet of water. I caught a very hefty 16 1/4" walleye which went into the live well of my Lund Pro-V 1800 IFS. That fish will make a nice dinner for me and Kathleen.

Another fantastic evening on Leech Lake.

No comments: