Friday, May 01, 2009

November 1, 2008 on Leech Lake

From 1:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. I was out fishing and I was in heaven. Each day I make it out onto the water it becomes the latest in the year that I've ever been open-water fishing on Leech Lake.

The temperature today was 48 degrees and the wind was out of the SSW at 5-8 mph, the perfect speed to push Malay's little aluminum boat without the use of the motor. I positioned the boat in front of our house in roughly 10 feet of water, so I would drift toward Norm's cabin. That would put me along the edge of the weed line, if any of the weeds were still green.

I used an 1/8 oz. Lindy Max Gap in both sapphire blue and emerald shiner colors, a silver Colorado blade spinner, and tipped the jig with live fathead minnows.

I caught nearly a dozen medium-sized perch, one medium-sized northern pike and 4 jumbo perch. All fish were released into the lake unharmed.

Once I was back on shore, I wished I would have kept the jumbo perch. I would like to have one more fish fry before Kathleen and I go back to California, and those jumbos would have been perfect. I guess I'll just have to go out fishing again tomorrow.

No comments: