Friday, May 01, 2009

November 4, 2008 on Leech Lake -- Election Day

Today Tom Malay and I took his 14-foot aluminum boat on a fishing tour of Sucker Bay. We started at 12:30 p.m. and motored from my harbor to Big Hardwood Point. There were three other boats fishing Big Hardwood, which is always a good sign that there are walleyes present. Tom hooked one medium-sized northern pike, but that's all we could coax into the boat.

From Big Hardwood we motored across Sucker Bay to Duck Point. Using my Lindy Max Gap jig set up, I caught one very nice jumbo perch, which I kept. We then trolled Minnow Raps from Duck Point to Second Duck Point, and during that trip Tom hooked a nice 5 pound northern pike, which he released.

Finally we made our way to the Birches which is where the action really picked up. Tom and I both caught dozens of small- and medium-sized perch, Tom caught one nice jumbo perch, which he kept, and I caught three jumbo perch, which I kept. I was starting to amass enough jumbo perch for Kathleen and I to have one more fish fry before leaving the lake for our house in California.

Tom and I put the boat back in my boat lift at 5:00 p.m.

It was truly another fantastic day of fishing on Leech Lake.

NOTE: Late this evening it was projected that Barack Obama would win the presidency of the United States.

No comments: