Friday, May 01, 2009

November 6, 2008 on Leech Lake

Today's weather conditions were absolutely terrible for "comfortable" fishing -- the temperature hit a high of only 50 degrees, the wind was out of the ENE at 13 mph, the sky was grey and a cold, hard rain fell all day long. Miserable conditions. But because I could, I went fishing.

I took Tom Malay's 14-foot aluminum boat out onto the rough waters of Leech Lake to try to catch walleye and perch. Tom, because the weather was so poor, decided to stay on shore where he could be warm and dry in his cabin.

I motored the boat to the Birches, put a live fathead minnow on my 1/8 oz. Northland Neon-Tone Gum-Ball jig, dropped it 8-9 feet below the boat and immediately started catching perch. For the next several hours I caught more than 20 nice sized perch, including 2 jumbos. But since I had a bag of fresh perch fillets sitting in my refrigerator at home, all of the fish I caught were released back into Leech Lake.

As it turned out, today was my last day of open-water fishing on Leech Lake in 2008. I was able to fish a total of 98 days this season, and I fished later into the season -- Nov. 6 -- than ever before.

No comments: