Friday, May 01, 2009

November 2, 2008 on Leech Lake

The temperature today was 53 degrees, the wind was calm to 5 mph out of the SE then shifting to the NE. I was on the water from 12: 30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.

I used the same set up as I did yesterday, an 1/8 oz. Lindy Max Gap jig in either sapphire blue or emerald shiner color tipped with live fathead minnows. I let the boat drift in the wind from in front of our house to the Birches. Then I'd fire up the little 10hp Mercury motor on Malay's 14-foot aluminum boat and motor back to our house. I'm estimating that I was fishing in 8-10 feet of water.

I caught 8 medium-sized perch, which I released, and 2 jumbo perch, which I kept.

I saw two adult bald eagles perched in a tree near the Birches. Occasionally one of them would fly out over the lake, looking for food I suppose, then circle back to its perch in the tree. I love the beauty of nature at Leech Lake.

This evening Kathleen and I hosted Tom and Elaine Malay for a lasagna dinner.

No comments: